Commonwealth Financing Authority accepting applications, Burns' office can help

EBENSBURG, Feb. 2 – State Rep. Frank Burns said the Commonwealth Financing Authority, the independent agency that awards grants for a number of state programs, is now accepting applications for its next award round, which is expected in September.

"State grants help many municipalities, communities, businesses and organizations tackle and complete projects for the benefit of us all," Burns said. "I'm happy to offer entities help in applying for a share of this funding."

Applications will be accepted now through May 31 for the following programs:

Abandoned Mine Drainage Abatement and Treatment Program - For abatement and/or treatment of abandoned mine drainage through treatment facility system construction, as well as for treatment system repair, upgrade or operation and maintenance of existing passive and active treatment systems.

Baseline Water Quality Data Program - For statewide initiatives to establish baseline water quality data on private water supplies. 

Flood Mitigation Program - For statewide initiatives to assist with flood mitigation projects. 

Greenways, Trails, and Recreation Program - For planning, acquisition, development, rehabilitation and repair of greenways, recreational trails, open space, parks and beautification projects. 

Orphan and Abandoned Well Plugging - For funding orphan or abandoned well plugging projects. 

Sewage Facilities Program - For statewide initiatives complying with the Pennsylvania Sewage Facilities Act.

Watershed Restoration and Protection Program - For watershed restoration and protection projects.

More information on these grant opportunities is available at

Applications also will be accepted through July 31 for the CFA's Multimodal Transportation Program, which encourages economic development and ensures a safe and reliable transportation system for state residents. More details on this program are available at

Burns said anyone interested in applying can contact Brittany Blackham, Grants & Development specialist, at (814) 736-7339 in his Portage office for assistance.