Deasy, Fontana: Green Tree lands funding to improve Greentree Road traffic

$243,360 PennDOT grant will enhance signals, safety and travel

PITTSBURGH, May 12 – State Rep. Dan Deasy and state Sen. Wayne D. Fontana today said Green Tree was awarded a $243,360 state Green Light-Go grant to improve aging traffic signals and message boards along Greentree Road from Carnahan Road to McKinney Lane.

“Greentree Road is a key artery through the borough to Pittsburgh, Parkway West and the southern suburbs, making this grant welcome and needed for timely and less-congested commutes,” Deasy said.

“This investment will reap many dividends, including improved safety, visibility and mobility through the busy corridor,” Fontana said. “I applaud the borough for seeking the funding and striving to improve the region’s highway infrastructure.”

The Allegheny County Democrats said the grant will upgrade light-emitting diode – LED – lights and their supports, which are critical to the lane signals that are reversed to accommodate incoming and outgoing traffic.

“After 35 years, the overhead lighting and messaging system is showing its age and needs an upgrade,” Fontana said.

“All should benefit from a more efficient trip through the busy corridor,” Deasy said. “A safer, speedier commute is now on the near horizon.”

The Green Light-Go Program grant, administered by the state Transportation Department, will cover 80 percent of the projected $304,200 cost of the Green Tree project, with the borough shouldering the remaining 20 percent.

Deasy and Fontana supported changes to the grant program last year that reduced municipalities’ required funding match to 20 percent from 50 percent, a move that saved the borough over $100,000.

The grant to Green Tree was among $33 million in grants announced this week by the administration of Gov. Tom Wolf for 93 municipalities statewide.