Krueger-Braneky appointed to bipartisan panel to address massive Pa. school construction and renovation 'logjam'
FOLSOM, June 1 – State Rep. Leanne Krueger-Braneky, D-Delaware, announced today that she has been appointed to the Public School Building Construction and Reconstruction Advisory Committee, also known as the PlanCon Committee, to work in a bipartisan way to review and make recommendations for a new PlanCon program.
"I look forward to reviewing different proposals to get funds for construction and reconstruction flowing back to school districts," Krueger-Braneky said. "Legislative gridlock and poor budgeting decisions during the previous administration have delayed PlanCon so long that Pennsylvania’s school districts are now owed billions of dollars in construction funding. This logjam is preventable and unacceptable and we must work together to revamp PlanCon into a sustainable program."
The PlanCon Advisory Committee was a part of the Fiscal Code bill that Gov. Tom Wolf allowed to become law without his signature in April. The committee is made up of:
- The secretary of education or a designee;
- One member appointed by the president pro tempore of the Senate and the speaker of the House;
- A representative from the Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials;
- A representative from the Pennsylvania School Boards Association;
- The chairperson and minority chairperson from both the Appropriations and Education committees in the House and the Senate; and
- One member each appointed by the president pro tempore of the Senate, minority leader of the Senate, speaker of the House and minority leader of the House.
The committee has been charged with preparing a report by May 15, 2017 with findings and recommendations on how to improve the PlanCon program, which handles school construction, reconstruction and the lease of public school buildings.