Longietti announces 13 fire and EMS grants for 7th District, thanks first responders for their actions
HERMITAGE, April 20 – Calling their courage an inspiration to the community, state Rep. Mark Longietti, D-Mercer, announced today that 13 fire and ambulance companies in the 7th Legislative District are receiving state grants.
"These local fire and EMS companies, made up of volunteers who sacrifice their own time and safety for the safety of others, are a vital part of our community," Longietti said. "When the first sign of danger appears, many people would turn in the other direction. But when that call comes in, our fire and EMS companies drop everything and run directly toward danger, and we can’t thank them enough."
The grants are made possible by the Fire Company and Volunteer Ambulance Service Grant Program, which is funded by gaming revenue. With the grant program set to expire on June 30, 2016, Longietti recently voted for House Bill 1877, which would extend the program for another four years. The bill passed the House and is currently awaiting action in the Senate.
The fire and EMS companies in the 7th District that received grants are:
- Clark Volunteer Fire Department, $13,106;
- Farrell Volunteer Fire Department Inc., $12,878;
- Greenville Volunteer Fire Company, $12,194;
- Hermitage Volunteer Fire Department, $13,789;
- Patagonia Volunteer Fire Department, $13,334;
- Sharon Fire Department, $13,789;
- Sharpsville Volunteer Fire Department, $13,789;
- Shenango Township Volunteer Fire Department, $11,739;
- South Pymatuning Township Volunteer Fire Association, $11,511;
- Transfer Volunteer Fire Department, $13,789;
- West Middlesex Volunteer Fire Department, $13,789;
- West Salem Fire Department, $12,422;
- Wheatland Volunteer Fire Department, $11,967.
Grants can be used toward repairing, building or renovating facilities. The money also can be applied toward the purchase of new equipment, training and certification of staff, or it may go to repay debt related to equipment purchases or facility building and maintenance.