FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Mike Sturla
State Rep. Rick Mirabito
House Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing
on proposed state budget cuts to human services Thursday in Williamsport
WILLIAMSPORT, May 22 – House Democratic Policy Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the committee will hold a public hearing on the proposed 2012-13 state budget cuts to human services from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursday, May 24 at Lycoming College’s Mary Lindsay Welch Honors Hall, corner of East Fourth and Basin streets, Williamsport.
State Rep. Rick Mirabito, D-Lycoming, requested the hearing and will serve as co-chair.
The hearing will examine the recurring and exorbitant cuts in human services that would negatively affect Pennsylvania families, seniors, those with disabilities and the most vulnerable. It also will include a period to collect public comment.
The current hearing agenda is:
· 10 a.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
· 10:10 a.m. – Lisa Basci, MA, LPC, senior program specialist, Community Services Group
· 10:30 a.m. – Bob Garrett, president/CEO, North Central Sight Services, Inc.
· 10:50 a.m. – Panel from Genesis HealthCare Rose View Center
Ø Blake Apsokardu, administrator
Ø Lauren Leathers, admissions/marketing director
· 11:10 a.m. – Dr. J. Morris Smith, coordinator, Shepherd of the Streets
· 11:30 a.m. – Renee Sluzalis, CEO, Roads to Freedom Center for Independent Living of Northern Central PA
· 11:50 a.m. – Public comments
· 12:20 p.m. – Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.