Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing
on school vouchers Tuesday in Erie
HARRISBURG, March 11 – House Democratic Policy Committee Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the committee will hold a public hearing on school vouchers in Pennsylvania from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 15 at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center, Room 112, 301 Peninsula Dr., Erie.
State Rep. Patrick Harkins, D-Erie, who serves on the House Education Committee, will co-chair the hearing.
The current hearing agenda is:
- 3 p.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
- 3:10 p.m. – Panel one: Jay Badams, superintendent, Erie City School District; Dr. Scott Graham, superintendent, Northern Potter School District
- 3:40 p.m. – Panel two: Otto Banks, executive director, REACH Alliance and Foundation; Dick Komer, senior attorney, Institute of Justice; Dawn Chavous, executive director, Students First; and Anthony Pirrello, CEO, Montessori Regional Charter School
- 4:20 p.m. – Panel three: Andre Horton, president of the Erie branch, NAACP; Sara Rose, staff attorney, ACLU of PA; Al Richardson, secretary, Northwest PA Chapter, American United for Separation of Church and State
- 5 p.m. – Panel four: Patricia McLaughlin, director of Catholic Schools, Diocese of Erie; John Richardson, superintendent, Erie First Christian Academy; Karen Brumagin, administrator, Girard Alliance Christian Academy; and Diane Price, principal, Leadership Christian Academy
- 5:30 p.m. – Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.