Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing
on school vouchers Thursday in Scranton
HARRISBURG, March 29 House Democratic Policy Committee Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, today announced the committee will hold a public hearing sbout school vouchers from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Thursday at Marywood University's Nazareth Hall in the Latour Room, 2300 Adams Ave., Scranton.
State Rep. Ken Smith, D-Lackawanna, who serves on the House Education Committee, requested the hearing and will serve as its co-chairman.
The current hearing agenda is:
- 10 a.m. Welcome and opening remarks
- 10:10 a.m. Panel one: Rosemary Boland, president, Scranton Federation of Teachers; Alan Hall, school director, Blue Ridge School District; Dr. Andrew Chichura, superintendent, Mountain View School District
- 11 a.m. Panel two: Dawn Chavous, executive director, Students First; Rev. Ted Clater, executive board member, REACH Foundation and Alliance; Kathleen Hanlon, secretary for Catholic Schools and superintendent of schools, Diocese of Scranton; Teresa Osborne, chancellor, Diocese of Scranton
- 11:50 a.m. Panel three: Andy Hoover, legislative director, ACLU of PA; Ron Felton, president, Wilkes-Barre NAACP; Ron Byrd, president, Pocono Mountain Branch NAACP; Dr. Jean Harris, member, Leagie of Women Voters of Lackawanna County; Susan Gobreski, executive director, Education Voters of PA
- 12:40 p.m. Panel four: Rabbi Dovid Rosenberg, executive director, Scranton Hebrew Day School; Charles Atkins, head of school, Columbia County Christian School; Robert Gresh, head of school, Grace Prep High School; Ken Tanis, headmaster emeritus, Delaware County Christian School
- 1:30 p.m. Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.