FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Mike Sturla
House Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing on
school funding and AVI proposal Wednesday in Philadelphia
Philadelphia City officials to testify
PHILADELPHIA, May 29 – House Democratic Policy Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the committee will hold a public hearing on House Bill 2361 that would provide immediate funding for the Philadelphia School District from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday, May 30 at the Independence Visitor Center, Liberty View Ballroom, on Sixth and Market Streets, Philadelphia.
State Reps. Mike O'Brien and Rosita C. Youngblood, both D-Phila., requested the hearing and will serve as co-chairs. The hearing will also examine the effects and impacts of the Actual Value Initiative (AVI), the proposal offered by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter that would reassess Philadelphia properties to bring in additional tax revenues.
The current hearing agenda is:
· 11:30 a.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
· 11:40 a.m. – Panel from the City of Philadelphia
Ř Rob Dubow, finance director
Ř Lewis Rosman, director of legislative affairs
· 12:10 p.m. – Brett Mandel, former chair of the Real Estate Tax Working Group, Philadelphia Tax Reform Commission
· 12:30 p.m. – Jeff Hornstien, president, Queens Village Neighborhood Association
· 12:50 p.m. – Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.
For more information on the Policy Committee, go to www.pahouse.com/PolicyCommittee.