FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Mike Sturla
State Rep. Vanessa Lowery Brown
House Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing
on homeless children Monday in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 12 – House Democratic Policy Committee Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced that the committee will hold a public hearing on homeless children from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday at the People’s Emergency Center, 325 N. 39th St., Philadelphia.
State Rep. Vanessa Lowery Brown, D-Phila., requested the hearing and will serve as co-chairman. The hearing will focus on a recent report by Dr. Staci Perlman and Joe Willard that estimates the annual cost of child homelessness in Pennsylvania to be $335 million.
The current hearing agenda is:
· 2 p.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
· 2:10 p.m. – Panel one:
Ř Dr. Staci Perlman, MSW, assistant professor, Department of Social Work, Kutztown University
Ř Joe Willard, vice president of policy, People’s Emergency Center
· 2:50 p.m. – Kathy Fisher, family security director, Public Citizens for Children and Youth
· 3:20 p.m. – Maura McInerney, staff attorney, Education Law Center
· 3:50 p.m. – Mary Jane Morrison, RSM, MSS, LSW, social worker, Maternity Care Coalition
· 4:20 p.m. – Closing remarks
For more information about the Policy Committee, visit www.pahouse.com/PolicyCommittee.
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.