FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rep. Brendan F. Boyle
Boyle hosts second annual basketball classic
Proceeds benefit the Fraternal Order of Police Survivors Fund
PHILADELPHIA, March 31 – State Rep. Brendan F. Boyle, D-Phila./Montgomery, hosted his second annual basketball classic on March 27 and 28 at George Washington High School.
"This tournament brings children from all across northeast Philadelphia together for a healthy and safe activity," Boyle said. "Additionally, it gives us the opportunity to raise funding and awareness for an important local charity, the Fraternal Order of Police Survivors Fund."
Approximately 200 seventh- and eighth-grade students from local middle schools, for a total of 15 teams, competed in the tournament.
The champions were Resurrection of Our Lord in the girls division, and Mast Charter School in the boys division.
Boyle also presented a citation to local resident Lou DeCree for his contributions to the community. Mr. DeCree's work includes:
· co-founder and president of the Officer Daniel Boyle Athletic Program;
· athletic Director for St. Christopher’s CYO;
· founder and former coach of St. Christopher’s CYO baseball program;
· organizer and fundraiser for Officer Daniel Boyle Scholarship Fund, Sgt. Patrick McDonald Scholarship Fund, Archbishop Ryan Raiders Football Foundation and Andrew Farrell Spirit of Courage Fund; and
· donor to numerous area fundraisers and charities.
The tournament raised $2,582 to benefit the Fraternal Order of Police Survivors Fund. Boyle said his basketball classic has raised close to $7,000 in the two years since its inception.