State Rep. John Myers



Rep. Myers' office assists with Property Tax/Rent Rebate applications for FREE


HARRISBURG, April 28 – State Rep. John Myers, D-Phila., said he is disturbed by mailings by private companies offering to fill out the state Property Tax Rent/Rebate application for a fee.


Myers' stressed that his office at 5847 Germantown Ave.,  and those of all other state representatives, will assist people in filling out the applications at no charge.


To be eligible for the program, residents must be 65 or older, a widow or widower 50 or older, or 18 or older with a permanent disability. Based on property taxes or rent paid in 2009, eligible Pennsylvanians can receive rebates of up to $650. 


Myers said the letter soliciting money for filling out the PTRR application has very little language on it about the company that sent it.


"The letter I have been provided by a constituent comes from a California commercial firm with a Harrisburg return address that charges $39 to fill out the form, and they even accept credit cards for payment," said Myers.


Myers urged residents not to use the paid service for two primary reasons.


"Number one, my office will help people with the application; even fill it out for them, for free. If it turns out they are not eligible, it has cost them nothing. With the paid service, one is out 39 bucks either way," Myers said. "The second reason, and this is very important, is because people using the paid service will be giving confidential personal and financial information to a third party that could lead to identity theft.


"The deadline to sign up for the rebate is June 30," Myers said. "The application is for a rebate on property taxes or rent paid during 2009, and applications are available at my office."


Eligible homeowners can qualify for a rebate if their household income does not exceed $35,000. The income limit for renters is $15,000. However, Myers stressed that applicants may exclude half of their Social Security, Supplemental Security Income or federal railroad retirement Tier 1 benefits when determining eligibility, which allows some people with higher incomes to qualify.


Residents can fill out the PTRR form at Myers' office at 5847 Germantown Ave. in Philadelphia. His office phone number is 215-849-6896. People may also request that an application be mailed to them, or fill out the application online, by visiting


Applicants can also check the status of a claim they have already filed by visiting the same website, or by calling the Department of Revenue’s FACT and Information Line at 1-888-PATAXES (1-888-728-2937). Touch-tone telephone service is required. People without touch-tone telephone service may call 1-888-222-9190 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. for assistance. All callers and Web site users will need their Social Security number and the amount of their rebate.