As a result of Rep. Thomas’ experience and leadership,
major milestones have been achieved in the following areas:
- Crime & Safety:
- Transforming a vacant building in the 800 block
of 12th Street from a drug-, gun- and crime-infested
building into a 21st century play area for children.
- Successfully amending 97 bills in the House
until illegal possession of a gun was reclassified
from a 3rd degree misdemeanor to a felony.
- Successfully sponsored and supported a $5
million appropriation for the illegal gun task force
- Successfully supported the passage of a law to
track the use of illegal guns.
- Successfully organized community rallies which
led to the apprehension of violent crime offenders
in Yorktown, Northern Liberties, North Philadelphia
and Hunting Park communities.
- Successfully organized and negotiated the 181
Safety Patrol Program which provides a climate of
safety at 10 schools.
- Successfully raised over $5,000 from the private
sector for families victimized by violence.
- Successfully secured two years of funding for
the North Philadelphia Crime Victims Program.
- Successful in sponsoring over 10 budget
amendments which increased the Housing &
Redevelopment Assistance line item from $15 million
to $35 million.
- Successful in providing the city of Philadelphia
with enabling legislation to establish for the first
time a Housing Trust Fund. In 2007, the city raised
over $15 million for new housing development,
housing improvements and rental assistance.
- Successful in moving the state from zero
investments in housing development in 1988 to over
$35 million in new housing (Dauphin Arms, William B.
Moore Apartments, Guild House II 1/09 Green Street)
- Successful in supporting the only $6 million
federal Nehemiah grant to North Philadelphia.
- Successful in encouraging PHFA to award over $20
million in tax credits to district community
- Successful in securing a $125,000 grant for
security improvement of Gray Manor and Guild House