FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Rick Mirabito
Mirabito to host policy hearing on landowner rights
Legislators to explore rights as they relate to Marcellus Shale
HARRISBURG, Oct. 24 – State Rep. Rick Mirabito, D-Lycoming, announced today that he will host a House Democratic Policy Committee hearing from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Lycoming College.
"There are so many underlying concerns about Marcellus Shale drilling," Mirabito said. "I want people to understand we are paying attention."
This is one of a series of hearings being held this fall by the committee on a variety of issues facing Pennsylvania.
"The debate surrounding Marcellus Shale is about more than whether we should charge fees to support our environment and maintain our infrastructure," Mirabito said, "It is about the landowners who lease their land and the landowners who are their neighbors – all are affected."
Those testifying before the committee include:
· Sonya Barclay, landowner, Cogan Station;
· Emily Krafjack, community outreach coordinator, Wyoming County;
· Ted Stroter, retired chemist and environmental safety engineer;
· William desRosiers, field director, Energy in Depth;
· Dr. Jonathan Williamson, director, Center for the Study of Community and the Economy, Lycoming College;
· A representative from the Marcellus Shale Coalition.
The hearing will be held in the Mary Welch Honors Hall, Lycoming College, at the corner of Basin Street. The public is encouraged to attend.