FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Mike Sturla
State Rep. Babette Josephs
House Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing
on Voter ID law Thursday in Philadelphia
Philadelphia City Commissioner Stephanie Singer to testify
PHILADELPHIA, May 14 – House Democratic Policy Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the committee will hold a public hearing on Pennsylvania’s new Voter ID law from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday, May 17 at Peirce College, Room 51-52, 1420 Pine St., Philadelphia.
State Rep. Babette Josephs, D-Phila., who is the chairwoman of the House State Government Committee, requested the hearing and will serve as its co-chair. The hearing will examine how the law’s soft rollout went during the April primary and what to expect in November’s general election. The Pennsylvania Department of State was invited to testify and further educate the public on the law, but it declined to participate.
The current hearing agenda is:
· 10 a.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
· 10:10 a.m. – Stephanie Singer, chairwoman, Philadelphia City Commissioners
· 10:40 a.m. – Andy Hoover, legislative director, ACLU Pennsylvania
· 11:10 a.m. – Desiree Hung, Esq., associate state director-advocacy, AARP Pennsylvania
· 11:40 a.m. – Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.