FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Mike Sturla
State Rep. William Keller
Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing on Unemployment Compensation Service Centers Tuesday at 1 p.m. in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 18 – House Democratic Policy Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster, announced today that the committee will hold a public hearing about issues at Unemployment Compensation Service Centers from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 23 at IATSE Local 8 Headquarters, 2401 Swanson St.
State Rep. Bill Keller, D-Phila. and Democratic chairman of the House Labor & Industry Committee, requested the hearing and will serve as co-chairman. The hearing will focus on the unemployment compensation service center system and the problems claimants have encountered when seeking assistance. There have been widespread reports of busy signals and long wait times in trying to communicate with service center staff.
The current hearing agenda is:
· 1 p.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
· 1:10 p.m. – Sharon Dietrich, managing attorney for employment and public benefits,
Community Legal Services Inc.
· 1:40 p.m. – John Dodds, director, Philadelphia Unemployment Project, and UC claimants
· 2:10 p.m. – Greg Potter, president, Lehigh Valley Labor Council
· 2:40 p.m. – Kathy Jellison, president, SEIU Local 668
· 3:10 p.m. – Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.