FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
State Rep. Mike Sturla
State Rep. Brendan Boyle
Democratic Policy Committee to hold public hearing on
PA’s parole policies Tuesday at 9 a.m. in Philadelphia
PBPP Chairman Potteiger and Phila. FOP President McNesby to testify
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 19 – The House Democratic Policy Committee will hold a public hearing regarding then state’s parole policy for offenders from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 23 at the MaST Community Charter School in the Karen M. DelGuercio Education Center’s Large Group Instruction Room, 1800 E. Byberry Road.
State Rep. Brendan Boyle, D-Montgomery/Phila., requested the hearing and will serve as its chairman. The hearing will look at parole procedures in place and how they’ve impacted crime in the commonwealth. Boyle said he specifically wanted to examine current policies in response to the recent shooting death of Philadelphia Police Officer Moses Walker Jr., who allegedly was killed by a parolee.
The current hearing agenda is:
· 9 a.m. – Welcome and opening remarks
· 9:10 a.m. – John McNesby, president, Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police Lodge No. 5
· 9:40 a.m. – Michael Potteiger, chairman, Pennsylvania Board of Probation and Parole
· 10:10 a.m. – Angus Love, executive director, Pennsylvania Institutional Law Project
· 10:40 a.m. – Representative from the Philadelphia Defenders Association
· 11:10 a.m. – Closing remarks
The hearing is open to the public and media coverage is invited.