Cephas to hold Policy Committee hearing on Meaningful Solutions to Maternal Mortality Wednesday in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, March 29 – State Rep. Morgan Cephas, D-Phila., will host a House Democratic Policy Committee public hearing on Meaningful Solutions to Maternal Mortality-Doula Care and Coverage.
The hearing will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 3 at Saint Joseph’s University, Mandeville Hall, Teletorium, 5600 City Avenue, Philadelphia. The media and public are invited to attend.
Cephas requested the hearing to discuss what more the state can do to reduce maternal deaths and provide stronger support for doula care. She will be joined by state legislators from across the state, including Policy Committee Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster.
The current agenda is:
1:00 p.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
1:10 p.m. Panel One – Defining Maternal Mortality:
- Dr. Loren Robinson, Deputy Secretary for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Pennsylvania Department of Health
- Marianne Fray, CEO, Maternity Care Coalition
1:40 p.m. Panel Two – Rates and Causes in Philadelphia and Across Pennsylvania:
- Dr. Jason Baxter, MD, MSCP, FACOG, Member, Pennsylvania Maternal Mortality Review Committee
- Dr. Aasta Mehta, MD, MPP, Policy Consultant for Maternal, Child and Family Health, Philadelphia Department of Health
2:10 p.m. Panel Three – Best Practices and Solutions:
- Lexi White, Senior Policy Manager, New Voices for Reproductive Justice
- Representative from AmeriHealth Caritas
2:40 p.m. Closing Remarks
The meeting is one in a series held across the state on House Democrats’ Plan4PA, focused on putting people first, good jobs, healthcare access, quality schools and jobs training, and a fair economy. Additional information about the plan is available at www.plan4pa.com.
For more information about the Policy Committee, go to www.pahouse.com/policycommittee.