To My Constituents:

I have just received notice from US Congressman Conor Lamb’s office that contrary to prior reports, senior citizens, individuals who receive Social Security payments, and others identified below WILL have to file an income tax return to receive their economic stimulus payment.

The updated notice from the Congressman, based on the most recent IRS guidance, is as follows:

Q. Will I get a rebate if I didn’t file taxes in 2018 or 2019?

If you do not owe the federal government taxes for either 2018 or 2019 and usually don’t file as a result – you should file this year to ensure you can receive your payment. According to guidance issued by the IRS, people who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive the economic impact payment. 

Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities are usually not required to file an annual tax return but must do so now if they want the stimulus check.
Unfortunately it is the IRS that has changed the requirements to receive this payment. For specific information about this new regulation or for assistance, all residents in my district (except those residing in Plum Borough) should call Congressman Lamb’s office at either 412-871-2060 or 412-344-5583.
Those residing in Plum Borough who have questions should contact US Congressman Mike Doyle’s office at 412-390-1499.