Madden: $88K awarded to East Stroudsburg School District for cafeteria equipment
EAST STROUDSBURG, Jan 28 – State Rep Maureen Madden, D-Monroe, announced today that $88,571 is coming to her legislative district in the form of grants to five schools in the East Stroudsburg Area School District to purchase new food service equipment for cafeterias.
“Nutrition plays a critical role in a child’s ability to succeed academically, and these grants can help purchase needed equipment in order to serve well-balanced meals to students each day,” Madden said.
The following schools each received grant funding:
- $17,151 to Bushkill Elementary School – Double Stacker Steamer
- $11,396 to J M Hill Elementary School – Hot/Cold Server Line
- $35,795 to Middle Smithfield School – Walk in Box Freezer
- $17,151 to Smithfield Elementary School – Double Stack Steamer
- $7,077 to East Stroudsburg Elementary
Madden said funding for the grants is made available by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and is awarded to schools that participate in the National School Lunch program and have 50% or more of students eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Schools often use the grants to purchase new refrigerators, freezers, stoves and dishwashers.
More than $925,000 in competitive grants were awarded to 72 elementary, middle and high schools across Pennsylvania through the PA Department of Education.