Merski: School supplies still needed as drive enters final week
ERIE, Aug. 26 – With some area schools starting today and others scheduled for just after Labor Day, state Rep. Bob Merski, D-Erie, is reminding residents that this is the last week of his “Back- to-School Supplies Drive” to help families in need.
“We’ve had an excellent response to our school supply drive so far, which is a testament to our community’s wonderful, caring spirit,” Merski said. “In addition to saying a hearty thanks for what we’ve collected so far, I want to remind everyone that the drive ends this Friday, Aug. 30, and that we can still use more supplies.
“Although many families try to budget for back-to-school shopping, buying all the necessary supplies can put a dent in tight budgets – especially for families with multiple kids in school. Donating to our drive is a great way to help make sure that all kids in our community start the school year off feeling prepared and confident in the knowledge that they have the tools they need to succeed.”
Merski said residents can donate new school supplies to one of these three locations between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.: Merski’s district office, 3901 Liberty St.; his Summit Township satellite office (open Tuesdays only), 1230 Townhall Road W.; or the Belle Valley VFD Station 36, 1514 Norcross Road.
Merski said the following items are especially helpful:
- Markers, including highlighters, color markers, dry-erase markers and permanent markers.
- Pencils, erasers (pencil top and large pink erasers), colored pencils, pencil boxes and pens.
- Crayons, student scissors and sticky notes.
- Backpacks, three-ring binders, folders and lined paper.
- Tissues and hand sanitizer (large classroom bottle size).
- New shirts in solid colors with collars, youth sizes S – XL, for students who attend schools requiring uniform wear.
Residents wanting additional information about the supply drive should contact Merski’s office at (814) 455-6319.