Additional financial assistance available for veterans

If you or someone you know is a veteran or a single surviving spouse who is eligible for a VA pension and requires assistance from another person, or is housebound, you may be eligible for additional payments.

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs tells me that Aid and Attendance and Housebound allowances are in addition to the monthly pension you may already receive. If you are not eligible for a basic pension because of excessive income, you may still be eligible for these allowances. 

You can qualify to receive the Aid and Attendance monthly addition if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You require assistance to perform personal functions needed in everyday living

  • Your disabilities require you to be bedridden apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment

  • You are in a nursing home due to a mental or physical incapacity

  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to five degrees or less.

    The VA tells me that Aid and Attendance can help pay for care in the home, a Nursing Home or Assisted Living facility.

You can qualify for the Housebound monthly pension when you must remain home because of a permanent disability.

To apply for either of these benefits or for more information, contact the VA regional office where you filed a claim for pension benefits.

Please share this information with any veterans you may know.

As always, please don’t hesitate to contact my office on any state-related issue.