Construction workers and unemployment compensation
During a hearing of the House Democratic Policy Committee Monday, lawmakers explored the challenges Pennsylvania’s unemployment compensation system had for construction workers and how the legislature can work with the Department of Labor & Industry to make the process better and easier to navigate. The pandemic left many Pennsylvania construction workers out of work for much longer than normal and when they turned to the unemployment compensation system, they found a system that was hard to navigate and riddled with glitches and fraud.
The hearing took place on Monday, February 14 at noon in room G-50 of the Speaker K. Leroy Irvis Office Building in Harrisburg.
Host + Testifiers
- Hosted by: Rep. Ryan Bizzarro, Chair of the Policy Committee, and Rep. Jennifer O'Mara
- Testimony from:
- Todd Farally, Political Director, Sheet Metal Workers Local 19
- Jesse DiRenna, President IUOE Local 66
- Warren Santone, Organizer, Laborers Local 413
- Secretary Jennifer Berrier, Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry
Agenda + Testimony
Media Release + News Coverage
Hearing Video + Photos