Sainato: Fire companies awarded over $101,000 in state grants
NEW CASTLE, April 20 – State Rep. Chris Sainato, D-Lawrence, congratulated the eight fire companies in his legislative district that will receive more than $101,000 in state grants
“The volunteers with these fire companies put their lives on the line every day to help protect and serve others, so we need to make sure they have everything they need to continue their work,” Sainato said. “These grants are a vital source of funding, which helps them focus on their service to their communities.”
Sainato said the grants are made possible by the Fire Company and Volunteer Ambulance Service Grant Program, which is funded by gaming revenue. With the grant program set to expire on June 30, 2016, Sainato recently voted in favor of H.B. 1877, which would extend the program for another four years. The bill passed the House and is currently awaiting action in the Senate.
Organizations in the 9th Legislative District receiving grants are:
- Hickory Township Volunteer Fire Company, $11,511;
- Mahoning Township Volunteer Fire Department, $12,651;
- Neshannock Township Volunteer Fire Company, $13,790;
- New Castle Fire Department, $13,790;
- North Beaver Township Volunteer Fire Department, $12,878;
- Shenango Township Volunteer Fire Department, $12,651;
- South New Castle Boro Volunteer Fire Department, $12,651; and
- Union Township Volunteer Firemans Association, $11,967.
Grants can be used toward repairing, building or renovating facilities. The money also can be applied toward the purchase of new equipment, training and certification of staff, or it may go to repay debt related to equipment purchases or facility building and maintenance.