Sanchez announces $160k in school safety grants for local schools
ABINGTON, Oct. 18 – State Rep. Ben Sanchez, D-Montgomery, announced that school safety grants have been awarded to five local schools.
The grants come through the Pennsylvania Department of Education’s 2019-20 Safe Schools Target Grants. Four types of grants are offered: equipment grants of up to $25,000, program grants of up to $20,000, School Police Officer grants of up to $40,000 and School Resource Officer grants of up to $60,000.
Grants were awarded to:
- Abington School District -- $18,948.60 program grant and $60,000 School Resource Officer grant.
- North Montco Tech Career Center -- $17,440 program grant
- St. Hilary of Piters School -- $21,960 equipment grant
- Regina Coeli Academy -- $23,625 equipment grant and $19,889.08 program grant
- Good Shepherd Catholic School -- $19,000 equipment grant
“I’m grateful that several local schools were selected to receive these competitive grants,” Sanchez said. “Creating the safest learning environments we can is the first step in not only protecting our community’s children but helping them reach their full potential in the classroom.”
The money is part of $7.3 million in competitive grants that were awarded to schools statewide to prevent and reduce violent incidents, purchase safety and security-related equipment, and to provide training and compensation for school resource and police officers.
More information on the grants is available here.