Sims to host Policy Committee hearing on comprehensive sex education Thursday in Philadelphia
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 11 – State Rep. Brian Sims, D-Phila., will host a House Democratic Policy Committee public hearing on comprehensive sex education.
The hearing will be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17 at Thomas Jefferson University, Foederer Auditorium, 2nd floor -- College Building, 1015 Walnut St, 19107. The media and public are invited to attend.
Sims has introduced legislation that would require school districts to incorporate age-appropriate, inclusive and science-based comprehensive sex education into the curriculum of all grade levels, including contraception methods for older students. Sims will be joined by state legislators from across the state, including Policy Chairman Mike Sturla, D-Lancaster.
The current agenda is:
2:00 p.m. Welcome and opening remarks.
2:10 p.m. Panel One:
- Melissa Weiler Gerber, president and CEO, AccessMatters.
- Aletha Akers, MD, MPH,FACOG, associate professor of Pediatrics, The Craig Dalsimer Division of Adolescent Medicine.
- Lynette Medley, MEd, founder/CEO, No More Secrets Mind Body Spirit, Inc.
- Carlee Warfield, student, Downingtown STEM Academy.
2:45 p.m. Panel Two:
- Miciah Foster, SistahSpeak! youth project coordinator, New Voices for Reproductive Justice.
- Dr. Amanda Micucio, general pediatrician, Nemours duPont Pediatrics-Philadelphia.
- Patricia Fonzi, president and CEO, Family Health Council of Central PA.
- Michelle Schamis, artist and mother of transgender teen.
3:20 p.m. Panel Three:
- Zaakirah Hamid, sexual health educator, Planned Parenthood SEPA.
- Alma Sheppard, 9th grade teacher, Dobbins High School.
- Elicia Gonzales, LSW, MEd, executive director, Women's Medical Fund.
- Tillie Donover, alumnus, The School District of Philadelphia.
3:50 p.m. Closing remarks.