Latest News

Snyder and Bizzarro push for changes to vaccine prioritization

(1 day ago)

HARRISBURG, Feb. 24 – Citing significant and troubling concerns regarding access to the COVID-19 vaccine for several at-risk populations, including teachers, school personnel and corrections officers, state Reps. Pam Snyder and Ryan Bizzarro have sent a letter to acting Pennsylvania Health Secretary Allison Beam, urging her to augment the Phase 1a category to include those individuals. Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Westmoreland, said further changes in prioritization are needed, including limiting smokers to only those 65 or older, which would put senior citizens and high-risk workers at the top of the list, while still allowing at-risk smokers access to the vaccine. “Prioritizing others over our educators and corrections officers is baffling, especially when you consider the close congregate work they perform, and to have them currently placed in the Phase 1b category is insulting,” Snyder said. “It’s also vital that our health care systems be better informed as to the number of vaccines they’re slated to receive, as well as when those vaccines will arrive. These institutions must be kept updated, and to leave them in the dark only further exacerbates the issues we continue to have with the ongoing vaccine rollout process.” “ I am proud to partner with Representative Snyder in helping make sure our most vulnerable populations receive the COVID-19 vaccine,” said Bizzarro, D-Erie. “The Read more

Snyder praises review commission’s recommendation to delay RGGI

(Feb 18, 2021)

CARMICHAELS, Feb. 18 – State Rep. Pam Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington, has applauded a decision by the Independent Regulatory Review Commission to delay Pennsylvania’s enrollment in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, or RGGI. “This week’s decision by IRRC shows that RGGI is definitely the wrong path for our state to take, notably during a pandemic,” said Snyder. “In fact, several industry representatives, including the Pennsylvania Manufacturers Association and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, are rightfully concerned that such a move would impose a carbon tax and lead energy companies in my communities to close and frankly, that would be beyond devastating. We can’t afford for that to happen. “It is imperative that the governor must take these recommendations from IRRC seriously and put an end to RGGI. My region is among those that would be adversely impacted and if those energy jobs leave our state, we’ll be paying the price for years and generations to come.” The commission has asked the state’s Environmental Quality Board to delay entry into RGGI by one year. Several industry officials and representatives across Pennsylvania have opposed RGGI, saying it will increase energy rates for consumers and businesses, lead to the elimination of family-sustaining jobs, and not provide a substantial reduction in carbon dioxide emissions, as proponents of RGGI have claimed. In Read more

Southwest House Democrats issue statement regarding RestorePA

(Jan 28, 2021)

HARRISBURG, Jan. 28 – State Rep. Pam Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington and chairwoman of the Pennsylvania House Democrats’ Southwestern Delegation, has issued the following statement regarding comments made by Gov. Tom Wolf today on RestorePA. This statement is made on behalf of the delegation, which includes state Reps. Frank Burns, D-Cambria; Robert Matzie, D-Beaver/Allegheny; and Chris Sainato, D-Lawrence: “Pennsylvania’s small businesses and citizens absolutely need relief, and we applaud Governor Wolf for continuing to pursue efforts to generate and deliver COVID relief. However, the pandemic prescription he proposed today is misguided. “Targeting a single industry with another layer of taxes – our oil and gas industry that employs tens of thousands of Pennsylvanians – is a nonstarter. This industry was deemed an essential industry by Governor Wolf last year, has produced the materials to manufacture the PPE that allowed us to respond to the pandemic, and is now producing the byproducts that are fueling the manufacturing, storage, and distribution of the vaccine to Pennsylvanians. This is not just a tax on the oil and gas industry, it would be a tax on our pandemic recovery. “The administration and all four caucuses need to get together to work on a plan that can actually pass in both chambers of the General Assembly.” Read more

Snyder again named caucus deputy whip

(Jan 11, 2021)

HARRISBURG, Jan. 11 – State Rep. Pam Snyder announced she has been chosen to serve a second term as a deputy whip of the PA House Democratic Caucus. “I’m deeply honored for the opportunity to again lead the charge on setting and guiding our caucus’s agenda, focusing on several priorities, including support for our small businesses, which have been adversely impacted by the current pandemic,” Snyder said. “I look forward to working with our team to advance our agenda for the benefit of all Pennsylvanians.” Snyder also co-founded the legislature’s Broadband Caucus and the formation of a state Office of Broadband Initiatives. For several years, Snyder has led the push toward expanding reliable affordable broadband access for unserved and underserved communities statewide. Snyder has also been chosen to serve on the following House committees: Agriculture and Rural Affairs. Committee on Committees. Consumer Affairs. Environmental Resources and Energy. Labor and Industry. Policy Committee. Last week, Snyder was sworn in for her fifth term to serve the 50th Legislative District. Read more

Snyder sworn in for fifth term in state House

(Jan 05, 2021)

HARRISBURG, Jan. 5 – State Rep. Pam Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington, has been sworn into office for her fifth term representing the 50 th Legislative District. “I am honored and humbled to again have this opportunity to continue to represent my communities, and while there is a lot of work to be done, I vow to continue to reach across the aisle to work together to help all residents in our state, including many individuals – our health care workers, first responders and local business owners – who continue to be adversely impacted by the current COVID-19 pandemic.” Recently, Snyder again partnered with fellow state Rep. Joseph Ciresi, D-Montgomery, in reintroducing a bill to help ultra-small businesses impacted by the pandemic. The measure would create a $50 million grant program for businesses which make no more than $3 million in gross annual receipts or employ up to 30 full-time employees. Snyder added she remains committed to connecting more underserved and unserved communities to reliable, affordable broadband internet access, including garnering federal support to bring the needed vital infrastructure and support to make it happen. Known as First Tuesday, today’s ceremonies at the state Capitol kicked off the 205 th legislative session of the state House. Read more

Snyder: $1.3 million in funding to prevent juvenile delinquency, support crime victims and criminal justice efforts

(Dec 10, 2020)

HARRISBURG, Dec. 10 – Approximately $1.32 million in state grants will enhance services for victims of crime, including domestic violence and child abuse, and provide support for other criminal justice efforts in Greene, Fayette and Washington counties, state Rep. Pam Snyder announced. Snyder said the funding comes from several grants awarded by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency at its quarterly commission meeting on Wednesday. “Our providers do an exceptional job to help victims of crime and children who are or could be in danger, and that also includes our counties’ probation staff ,” said Snyder. “Especially during these challenging times, their work is all the more needed and valuable to our communities. This funding means they can continue to serve those in need and support vital criminal justice efforts, including funding for training, staff and program services.” Snyder said the grants awarded include the following (broken down by specific PCCD committee): Victims’ Services Advisory Committee – funding earmarked to help victims of crime: Fayette County (Fayette County STOP Grant Project): $125,000. Community Resources of Fayette County, Inc. (for services to victims of juvenile crime): $131,746. Fayette County Commissioners (for services to victims of adult crime): $144,919. Greene County (funds for victims of juvenile offenders): $87,750. Read more

Snyder announces federal funds allocated to expand broadband service for residents

(Dec 08, 2020)

CARMICHAELS, Dec. 8 – Approximately $368 million in federal funds will be allocated to Pennsylvania by the Federal Communications Commission to expand broadband service to rural areas of the commonwealth, including $24 million earmarked for Greene, Fayette and Washington counties, state Rep. Pam Snyder announced today. Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington, said the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund Phase I will bring broadband access to nearly 10,000 residents in her district. “This is great news to help our ongoing efforts to connect the residents in our region to reliable, affordable broadband access,” Snyder said. “Whether you’re a student, a business owner or a healthcare provider, this access is a necessity, especially now during this ongoing pandemic.” Organizations serving Fayette County will receive the following federal allocations: Armstrong Telephone Co. – Northern Division: $80,508; QCOL Inc.: $235,146; Space Exploration Technologies Corp: $3.43 million. Windstream Services LLC, serving Greene County, will receive a federal allocation of $13.96 million. Organizations serving Washington County will receive the following allocations: Armstrong Telephone Co. – Northern Division: $59,034; Space Explorations Technology Corp.: $3.33 million; and Windstream Services LLC: $3.14 million. The Rural Digital Opportunity Fund Phase I action is part of the FCC’s broader effort to close Read more

Snyder applauds passage of measure to help veterans’ service organizations

(Nov 23, 2020)

CARMICHAELS, Nov. 23 – State Rep. Pam Snyder said she’s pleased that veterans’ service organizations, including the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars chapters, are closer to getting some relief, as many of these chapters have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington, said the unanimous passage of H.B. 777 , which she co-sponsored, would allow these organizations to use all revenue from Small Games of Chance temporarily to help keep them afloat. “The clubs that operate in my area and across our state are such an integral part of our communities,” said Snyder. “Not only do they provide a place for veterans to gather, but they also support several local causes and efforts, including blood drives, support for youth sports, and so much more. I know they’ve been hit extremely hard by this pandemic, and I was proud to support this measure, because it will truly be a life-saver for these clubs and help them survive.” Under current law, the clubs are required to give 60% of their Small Games of Chance revenue to charity and allows them to keep the remaining 40%. House Bill 777 would allow the clubs to tap into the remaining 60% of those funds and use it to pay employees, rent, utilities and other operational expenses. Back in September, Snyder supported an effort to create a one-time grant program to help the clubs stay Read more

Interchange dedication ceremony held in honor of Fayette County hero

(Oct 14, 2020)

BROWNSVILLE, Oct. 14 – A Brownsville, Fayette County native and Vietnam War veteran who died in the line of duty was posthumously honored today at a special interchange dedication. State Rep. Pam Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington, was among several who took part in the ceremony for Army Cpl. Denny Ray Easter, which was held in the St. Nicholas Byzantine Catholic Church’s parking lot. The ceremony concluded with an unveiling of a special sign designating the interchange as the Corporal Denny Ray Easter Memorial Interchange. Easter joined the Army during the Vietnam War and served as an infantryman with B Company, 5 th Battalion, 198 th Light Infantry Brigade and later earned the rank of corporal. On Jan. 13, 1971 at the age of 20, he was killed in the line of duty in Quang Tin province in South Vietnam. “Corporal Easter was truly a hero, both to his community and to his country, and it was an honor to pay tribute to him and honor his memory through this special ceremony today,” said Snyder. “Each time we pass this way, we will be reminded of his service and sacrifice. I also want to thank PennDOT for their assistance in helping us honor Corporal Easter.” Snyder was joined by Easter’s cousin, Delores Randolph, and several local and county elected officials at today’s ceremony, including state Sen. Pat Stefano, Fayette County Commissioners Dave Lohr, Vincent Vicites and Scott Dunn, and Brownsville Read more

Snyder: Nearly $600K in grants awarded to assist volunteer fire, emergency medical service companies

(Oct 08, 2020)

HARRISBURG, Oct. 8 – Approximately $598,924 in crisis grants have been awarded to several volunteer fire and emergency services organizations in Greene, Fayette and Washington counties, state Rep. Pam Snyder announced. Snyder, D-Greene/Fayette/Washington, said the grant program, which originated from a measure she introduced earlier this year and was included in the final bill that passed both chambers, created a one-time program to provide automatic crisis grants to the companies. “We know that these fire and EMS companies have been hurting across our state because they haven’t been able to do their normal fundraising activities,” Snyder said. “This truly was a bipartisan, bicameral effort that has resulted in these organizations getting the valuable funding they need to continue to answer the call in our communities.” The grant award list is as follows: Greene County: $277,320 Bobtown Dunkard Volunteer Fire Department/Ambulance : $22,877 Carmichaels and Cumberland Township Volunteer Fire Co. : $23,425. Center Township Volunteer Fire Co. : $22,877. Clarksville & Community Volunteer Fire Department : $22,603. Greensboro-Monongahela Township Volunteer Fire Co. : $23,836. Jefferson Volunteer Fire Co. : $22,740. Morris Township Volunteer Fire : $22,603. Morris Township Volunteer Fire Department : $22,877. Mt. Morris Community Volunteer Fire Co. : $23,014. Nemacolin Read more