Haddock welcomes $226,000 in state funding for area schools
Rep. Jim Haddock February 22, 2023 | 2:29 PM
HARRISBURG, Feb. 22 – State Rep. Jim Haddock today announced six grants totaling $226,669 have been awarded to enhance food safety and prepare healthy meals for students at local schools.
“Access to regular and nutritious meals is key to nurturing students’ minds and keeping them on a path to success in school,” said Haddock, D-Luzerne/Lackawanna. “This funding ensures these schools can continue providing healthy meals and food services to our students through the entire school year.”
According to Haddock, the grants will benefit the following schools in his legislative district:
- Pittston Area Senior High School - $128,439 for the purchase of a dishwasher.
- Pittston Area Middle School - $10,077 for the purchase of an electric convection oven.
- Wyoming Area Primary Center - $15,867 for the purchase of an electric tilting kettle.
- Wyoming Area Kindergarten Center - $8,684 for the purchase of an electric convection oven.
- Riverside Elementary School West - $33,512 for the purchase of an outdoor freezer.
- Riverside Junior Senior High School - $30,090 for the purchase of an indoor freezer.
Added Haddock, “I would like to thank Governor Shapiro and the PA Department of Education for awarding this essential funding to these schools here in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties and to schools across the commonwealth.”
Funding for the grants is made available through the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Grants are awarded to schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program. Schools use the grants to purchase or upgrade equipment such as refrigerators, freezers, stoves and dishwashers.
More information on the grant program is available on the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.