Does the State OWE YOU MONEY?

One of my favorite responsibilities in representing my neighbors in the 191 Legislative District is connecting you to state programs that will put money back in your pocket.

This includes, but is not limited to, the Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program and the more than $4 billion in unclaimed property being safeguarded by the Pennsylvania Treasury.

The state Treasury estimates about one in 10 Pennsylvanians is owed a portion of the unclaimed property currently in their possession, with the average value of a claim ringing in at $1,500.

But how do you know if YOU have unclaimed property? It’s quite simple. All you do is visit to access the Treasury’s online search portal. From there you’ll be asked to provide some general information – like your first and last name and street address – before you can begin your search. If you cannot access it easily, feel free to call my legislative district office directly at 215-748-6712 for assistance. 

Every one of us must take a few minutes to check the online portal for unclaimed property.  It will be worth your time. Who knows – a claim could be waiting for you!

Another state-related program that will benefit some of you reading this is the Property Tax/Rent Rebate Program. The application window for 2022 rebates opened Jan. 19 and runs through June 30. This program benefits eligible Pennsylvanians 65 and older, widows and widowers 50 and older and people with disabilities 18 and older who meet the qualifications for rebates on property taxes or rent paid in 2022.

The income limit is $35,000 a year for homeowners and $15,000 annually for renters, and half of Social Security income is excluded. The maximum standard rebate is $650, but supplemental rebates for certain factors may be up to $975.

This is an extremely popular program statewide that has delivered more than $7.6 billion to eligible Pennsylvanians since the program was launched in 1971! If you are eligible for this program, I highly encourage you to apply.

How to apply

The state Department of Revenue is encouraging applicants to submit their applications online at  Once there, you’ll be asked to provide specific information on your income and rent or property taxes.

Documents you will need

  • All earned income tax forms (1099 SSI, W2s etc.)
  • Homeowners need copies of all paid tax bills
  • Renters need a signed form from their landlord

When to expect your rebate

The Department of Revenue will start distributing rebates on July 1.

Neighbors – help is available to you, so don’t miss this opportunity to put money back in your pocket! As always, please feel free to contact my district office to pick up any necessary documents for these programs or any others. Our talented team members will gladly assist you.