(Sep 23, 2016)
HARRISBURG, Sept. 23 – Advocates, survivors and members of the General Assembly will stand with state Rep. Mark Rozzi, D-Berks, to call on House leadership to run H.B. 1947 with the retroactive component that overwhelmingly passed the House 180-15 in April.
The news conference will begin at 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27 in the Main Capitol Rotunda. The bill would substantially revise the statute of limitations on child sex crimes and abuse.
Special guest speakers at the news conference will include:
• Jennifer Storm – state victim advocate;
• Josh Shapiro – chairman, Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD);
• Delilah Rumburg – chief executive officer, Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape (PCAR);
• Charles Gallagher – senior prosecutor for the 2003 and 2005 Philadelphia Archdiocese grand juries under former Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham; and
• Shaun Dougherty – Altoona/Johnstown clergy abuse survivor, advocate.
Rozzi will address the recent news of the investigation of the remaining six Roman Catholic dioceses within the commonwealth and the statements by state Attorney General Bruce Beemer concerning H.B. 1947. Additionally, Rozzi intends to discuss the need for the state Senate to allow the courts to decide the constitutional concerns of the bill and pass the reinstated measure to the governor before the end of the legislative session.